Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) more than $500 million in investment is flowing into Illinois for energy efficiency and optimization programs, including modest amounts for research and development. These investments have helped to advance the Illinois economy through the development and deployment of energy saving strategies for energy consumers.
Illinois’ universities, national laboratories and businesses are hard at work ensuring that ARRA resources and the R&D funded through the legislation induce groundbreaking techniques and products that optimize energy generation, distribution and consumption. These advances in hardware, software and related technologies, coupled with new business models being developed by a new class of energy-focused entrepreneurs, are expected to translate to consumer management of energy and produce environmental benefits through increased energy efficiency.
Illinois-based companies and institutions are also drawing on federal and state funds to pilot cost-effective programs and policies that heighten business, industrial and consumer understanding of the benefits of hands-on energy management.
Comprehensive energy efficiency and optimization programs include numerous services, such as:
- Energy audits and building assessments to examine energy usage and demand as well as to identify opportunities for improvement;
- Passive initiatives that address no- and low-cost solutions such adjusting HVAC temperature set points and fine-tuning other industrial equipment;
- Active initiatives that often replace out-dated equipment or install new, more energy efficient and technologically advanced devices; and
- Monitoring of the upgrades, coupled with measurement and verification, to validate the savings and provide proof of the return on investment.
To learn more about the initiatives to enhance energy efficiency and optimization underway in Illinois, we encourage you to read further in this edition of ISTC Catalyst.
Watch and Listen:
Living in an Energy Star Home
Energy Efficiency Grants and Resources for your Illinois Home or Office
CBS Chicago CUB Energy Saver
- State of Illinois Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard Factsheet
- Chicago Climate Action Plan
- CMAP Chicago Region Retrofit Ramp-up
- Delta Institute Cook County Commercial & Industrial Energy Efficiency Program
- State of Illinois Economic Stimulus Energy Plan
- CUB Service Rewards Consumers for Energy Savings
- Argonne Wins Federal Award for Energy Savings
- Building IQ Makes Argonne Smarter About Energy Management
- Midwest Energy Alliance Technical Assistance Program
- GCC Annual Sustainable Government Symposium in Springfield
- Illinois Energy Now
- Comed’s Smart Ideas Program
- Ameren’s Act on Energy Program
- Energy Savers Booklet
- State of Illinois 2010 Green IT Challenge
- Illinois Smart Energy Design Assistance Center at University of Illinois
- IIT and Smart Grid Applications for the Military
- Illinois Energy Star Appliance Rebate Program
- Nicor Gas Rebate Program
- Peoples Gas Rebate Program
February, 17 2011
Please join C2ST in welcoming Michael Skwarek,Deputy CIO and Cyber Security Program Manager at Argonne National Laboratory and Jason DeHaan, Chief Information Officer with the City of Chicago as they discuss the cyber threats that affect us all in today’s digital world. In addition, they will discuss what experts and the public need to do to mitigate these threats and keep them from becoming a reality.