The Illinois Science & Technology Coalition (ISTC) is a member-driven non-profit, nonpartisan organization that harnesses the power of research and innovation to grow the state’s economy.
Created by the State of Illinois 25 years ago, the ISTC drives public-private partnerships between industry, research universities, federal labs, economic development organizations, the entrepreneurial community, and government – serving as a convener, catalyst, and champion for the state’s innovation community.
With a growing network of more than 45 members and 30 partners, ISTC is charged with providing a shared voice for the research and technology community and identifying collaborative opportunities to promote business growth and competitiveness through strengthened research, innovation, and entrepreneurship across the state’s key regions and industries. Through membership, ISTC members derive value in a variety of ways.
General Membership Benefits
- Gain visibility by joining leaders in the state’s innovation community across business, research/academia, nonprofit, and government for high profile development activities.
- Participate in public-private partnerships that connect your organization with new business development opportunities
- Help brand Illinois as a state of innovation that attracts top talent, technology, and businesses
- Advance science, technology, and economic development policies at the local, state and national level in partnership with a coalition of the state’s top innovation leaders.
Join forces to support and access policies, programs, and funding opportunities that seek to: increase capacity for scientific research; strengthen innovation districts and regional technology clusters, improve the transfer of research to new products and businesses; and promote a technically skilled workforce.
Access our expertise to support funding proposal applications, including: drafting and reviewing applications; writing and securing support letters; supplying relevant data; and identifying and aligning community partners and resources, increasing likelihood of receiving award.
- Participate in events in Washington, D.C. and Springfield, including meetings with elected officials and policymakers, and policy roundtables that share community perspectives with broad government and community audiences.
- Lead or participate in projects across technology sectors, including energy and sustainability, health innovation, advanced manufacturing, civic innovation, as well as cross-sector programs in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education, technology commercialization, and corporate innovation.
- Through ISTC’s aggregated database of Illinois researchers, patents, STEM workforce, and collaboration networks, seek targeted research collaborations, licensing opportunities, and joint development partnerships.
Data and Awareness
- Access valuable data from our Illinois Innovation Index, which measures and benchmarks the state’s metrics around R&D funding, university-based innovation and entrepreneurship, and STEM talent/workforce, as well as other reports and tools regarding Illinois’ innovation activity.
- Promote and increase visibility of your R&D and innovation efforts, events, and resources on social media, ISTC website, Illinois Innovation Network website, and Catalyst Newsletter.
- Contribute thought leadership and input into analyses, reports, and data tools that serve to inform and shape the conversation around technology and innovation in the state.
- Through the Illinois Science & Technology Institute (ISTI) – ISTC’s affiliated 501(c)(3) public charity – we supports schools, companies, and universities that want to impact the next generation of innovators.
- Our programs provide a bridge between the classroom and real world that facilitates impactful collaboration between students and industry mentors, including STEM Challenges and the Mentor Matching Engine.
- These partnerships amplify employee engagement and retention strategies by providing high-impact, skills-based volunteerism opportunities, while cultivating Illinois’ STEM talent pool